Skip to main content

The Blame Game


An incident that occurred today prompted me to think about how, when and why people blame others for things that they are responsible for.

In my opinion, the most common reason why most people blame others is, to cover up their mistakes. Such people are afraid of the consequences of the mistakes but not careful enough to avoid them in the first place. I understand that sometimes mistakes do happen. In that case, according to me, the right thing to do would be to own up, apologise and make amends.

Some people blame other people or events for things because that makes it easy to feel good about oneself. Sometimes it is useful in gathering sympathy.

I feel that cowards blame others. The people who can’t take the responsibility for their actions or those who don’t have the courage to face, fight if required and overcome adverse consequences blame others.

The first time you make the choice of dealing with the consequences is the most difficult one. After that it gradually gets easier till some day it becomes a way of life. One learns that the goal is to get the job done and hence if one commits a mistake, one quickly acts to repair it and get the job done, rather than fretting over it or blaming other people or situations for it. Also, I believe that one learns so much in the process that one goes on to make fewer mistakes…one becomes proactive towards work and more responsible in general.

One becomes a fair and honest human being…one with integrity. This, for me, equates to being a better human being and thus the most important thing of all. :)

Comments

cathy jones said…
I agree completely with your thoughts. When I make a mistake, I treat it as an opportunity to learn, and not as something to be embarrassed about. Unfortunately I don't see many people able to do this, and it frustrates me at times to see blame placing. As long as you refuse to accept responsibility for your actions, you cannot grow as a person, in my opinion.
Great blog!
The Wanderer said…
Hey Cath :) Thanks. And "opportunity to learn"...exactly how I usually deal with my mistakes :)
Ai Ling said…
I totally agree with you! I find that many people these days lack accountability and responsibility, and it is seriously one of my major pet peeves. People need to grow up and learn to be accountable for their actions, good and bad.
The Wanderer said…
Accountability and Responsibility ! I doubt if anybody gives it such serious thought :) On more than one occasion I have been told that I was foolish to own up to my mistake when I could have gotten by without saying a word. I responded that I could fool others, but I can't fool myself. That fetched me hysterical laughter in my face with advice that I should 'grow up' and 'stop being so naïve'.
Ai Ling said…
Isn't that so totally against the values we were taught as children? I remember I learnt in school that I should always own up to my mistakes. But then in the working world, you see grown-ups and other supposedly learned and more experienced people doing otherwise.

what a contradiction!

As for myself, I own up when I make mistakes, regardless of what others think. At least I can face myself and hold my head up high thereafter instead of shirking away like a coward (as per your your post :P )

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)