Skip to main content

My food memories


I was just browsing the prompts on nablopomo for an idea for a post and I caught the word “food” and suddenly it clicked…a lot for food memories came rushing to my mind. So this post is about my food memories.

My earliest memory about a new food that I tried and liked goes back to when I was five. We used to live in Mumbai (Bombay, as it will always be for me). In our building there were two girls, twins actually, who were the same age as me. My family is vegetarian (but did not impose it on my brother and me) and their family was non-vegetarian. So one day when I had gone to their house to play, it was nearly lunch time and their mother asked me whether I’d like to eat with them. I agreed. Then suddenly she remembered that we were vegetarians. So she went upstairs, took permission from my mother (some vegetarians are strict and do not eat at homes of non-vegetarian people). Since in our family, it was left to individual choice, my mother said, let her try it. If she likes it, let her eat. And so it was that I first sampled chicken. I do not remember what dish she had made, but I do remember clearly that I loved it.

Throughout school and college, on each and every exam day, I ate ‘varan-toop-meeth-limbu-bhaat’ made by Aai (mother) and went for the exam. It is my feel-peace-food. For non-Indians, or even non-Maharashtrians, varan is an unsalted and plain thick-ish curry of cooked split pigeon peas, toop is clarified butter (ghee), meeth is salt, limbu is lemon and bhaat is cooked rice. All these are mixed together to make a dish that is pure bliss. The way my mother makes it is the only way I like it and the only way that makes me feel at peace :)

I have had bhutta / kaNees (steamed corn on the cob with ghee and salt and lemon applied to it) many times, but the one memory that prevails is of the time we had gone to visit Dimna Dam near Tatanagar (then in West Bengal, now in Jharkhand, I guess). We didn’t have any rain wear and it suddenly began to rain. Within minutes we were drenched to the bone. Dripping wet, we boarded the bus back to town. As soon as we reached the main square we saw a street vendor selling piping hot bhutta. How we greedily attacked the stall ! :) I still remember the taste of that bhutta and the fun we had eating it.

During the Ganapati festival each year, we visit my Mama’s (maternal uncle’s) place in Mumbai. Till a couple of years ago, Aaji (my maternal grandmother) used to make the best ukadiche modak. I used to help her with it but mine never turned out as well as hers. Now my Maami (maternal aunt) makes. Both modak are very tasty and well made (getting the perfect shape is an important requirement for modak). Whenever I eat modak anywhere, I always remember Ganapati at my Mama’s place.

After a recent funny incident (which, incidentally is a good one to share as my next blog post!), pomfret curry will forever be my most favourite fish preparation. No, no, the second most favourite…because the most favourite happens to be sushi.

Two and a half years ago I visited my brother and sister-in-law who live in UK. At that time they used to live close to London and my brother used to work in London. I used to venture out into London alone on some days, visit museums or parks or simply walk about Central London or on the South Bank and in the evening meet my brother at the Victoria Station and return home with him. One day as we met at the Victoria Station, my brother asked me if I was willing to experiment with food. I was more than willing :) So we went to the Wasabi outlet and he bought some sushi for us. Some vegetarian and some non-vegetarian. I knew before that sushi contains raw fish. So that wasn’t a shock/surprise. What was surprising, however, is that how I absolutely loved it ! After that on two more times during my stay in the UK I bought sushi at Wasabi at the Victoria Station and once ate it on the train back and the other time I took it home to share it with my sister-in-law. Since my return, I had been dying to eat sushi again but somehow it didn’t materialise till recently. We performed a play in Chennai at a prestigious theatre festival. The organisers had put us up at the five-star hotel ‘The Park’. There, for dinner we ordered a sushi platter and it was the most amazing sushi I’ve eaten so far. I fell in love with sushi all over again ! :) I shall always treasure the memory of sitting with four very dear people, the easy conversation and the shared excitement on eating the most amazing sushi !

It made me feel so good recalling these food memories…and contrary to popular belief, thinking of food hasn’t made me hungry…yet ;)

Comments

Seema Smile said…
Hey, Sorry I just saw your comment on my blog. Due to a family emergency I haven't had any time to check mails and my blog either. I will take some time out soon and read all your posts, I promise :)

Btw, I like the food post, makes me feel hungry :)
Josie said…
Very interesting to read food from a different culture. Sushi is great, isn't it? And for that matter, so is London. So much to see! And, can I pinch the food idea and maybe use it at some point on my blog? Pretty please with sugar on top?
Ta, Josie x
The Wanderer said…
Hey Seema :) Great to hear from you after a long time. Read the posts whenever you can. Hope all is well on the family front.

Hi Josie...Of course you can use the food idea...I'd love to read about foods from your culture as well :) And, maybe because it was my first visit to another country or maybe just because it is really so wonderful, London is my most favourite city !
Swapnali said…
For those that have never eaten "ukdiche modak"
The soft white, slightly chewy, sweet, hot straight from the steamer, with ghee on top modaks are my favourite as well. It has freshly ground, juicy coconut and sugar/jaggery filling inside with spices like cardomom and nutmeg making it a devine place to be. :)
The Wanderer said…
Hey Swapnali :) Thanks for the wonderful and concise explanation about 'ukadiche modak'. I was feeling lazy to explain and also I felt that the explanation would turn out to be too detailed and boring. Actually, the concept is similar to momos, isn't it ? Just the ingredients are different...rice flour for the covering and coconut and jaggery for the filling.
Swapnali said…
The cover of momos or dumplings is made of white flour... so they go chewy or stringy when cold

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)