Skip to main content

Monsoon Memories


It’s been raining continuously since last night. The rains began since day-before yesterday and the weather is so beautiful ! Overcast skies, a cool breeze blowing and ‘raindrops falling on my face’ :)

This morning, on my way to office, I was singing loudly on the bike, as I usually do in the rains. I was happily singing rain songs :) I remembered that long ago I had written about the images that such weather brings. I dug it up, re-read it and felt so refreshed. I felt I had to share it again…with some additions. So here are the images conjured by the rains...

Rushing out in the garden to get drenched in the first rain....

Leaving the sit-out door open, sitting in the door, with a cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other with music in the background...

Sudden burst of excitement in office as somebody shouts while running out, “There’s a hail-storm…lets go to the terrace”…running to the terrace with friends in office, gathering hailstones and eating them gleefully like children…

Hurriedly making bhajiya and then eating them while sitting at the window staring at the rains...

Rushing to the University in the rains (without jackets or raincoats, of course) and then having chai and wada-paav at Shantiniketan - our fave food joint that's situated under a huge canopy of trees (and hence the name)...

Leaving office at 9 p.m. one day in very heavy rains…totally packed in rain-gear…feeling very scared driving through knee-high water at places…taking an hour and fifty minutes to traverse a distance that is usually covered in forty minutes…arriving dead tired mentally and physically…

Driving to Mulshi lake on the bike with rain literally beating down on the face, visibility dangerously low...

Caught in the floods of Calcutta in one monsoon...taking a tempo to the station to catch the train back to Pune...sitting on the station with thousands of others stranded for the next 24 hours....high fever....limited tea and biscuits to keep us going...

Standing on Marine Drive in Mumbai, huge waves rising way above my head and crashing on the pavement...I'm drenched to the bone...

Rainy shoes, jacket, scarf, helmet, a poncho raincoat to cover it all...finally on the bike...feel like a warrior going to the battlefield...

Standing atop Dimna Dam near Tatanagar....suddenly the rain starts and it is really heavy....a mist envelopes us...the dam, the lake, the tiny island in the middle of the lake, the mountains surrounding the lake on all sides, the world....I'm in heaven :)


Comments

Seema Smile said…
:) I like you new template... refreshing colours.

The rain imagery is vivid and a great read.

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)