Skip to main content

Moments


I was watching the movie “Jab We Met” yesterday on some channel. I’ve watched it before, but yesterday some moments in it struck me even more than before. They were so beautifully and subtly played by the actors. Really small but poignant moments…some that may even go unnoticed by many in the audience. Still, the actors worked at realising those moments. There are so many films and plays in which there are such beautiful moments created by the actors and directors.


I appreciate this quality in an actor. Being one myself, I understand what it means to capture that moment. You have to truly sink into the character…become the character so to speak. It is not easy…it tests the limits of your belief. However, each such moment makes the film, the play more real, more believable, more true. It is like a small brush stroke in a painting. It may not stand out individually, but it makes the painting that much richer and meaningful by being in it.


Many people, when they find out that I am involved in theatre, exclaim in wonder how I memorise the dialogues and remember all the movements on stage. I usually respond with a smile and leave it at that.


I rarely tell anybody that memorising dialogues and movements are kindergarten stuff. Acting, I believe, is in capturing each moment as the character, sensing each thought and feeling each emotion as the character and letting it reach the audience while maintaining that fraction of awareness as the actor in order to execute the stagecraft – the dialogues and movements – appropriately.


To live a moment as another person, to experience life in so many alternate ways, to be able to create a vibration with the audience, is, for me, THE moment of all moments. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)