Skip to main content

One good deed deserves another


Today while on my way to office, my motorcycle had a breakdown. On a steep slope. That I was climbing up. The bike wouldn’t start at all. There wasn’t any petrol and the kick broke off.


Since I was about 5-10 minutes away from office, I called L in office. She told B to come and help me. I started pushing the bike up the slope till B came to relieve me. The bike is heavy but, much to my surprise, I was able to push it.


Many vehicles passed me by. It’s a busy road and it was time for all to rush to their respective workplaces. Suddenly one man driving a motorcycle passed me by and stopped a few feet ahead. He seemed like a plumber or an electrician. He had some similar instruments and was with an assistant. He asked me what the matter was. I told him the problem. He offered to push my bike to the nearest mechanic. Then he offered to give me some petrol from his bike. He was so sweet that he made his assistant run down the slope and bring back an empty bottle lying there. I didn’t want to take it since I could see that this guy was not too well off and petrol is expensive. I told him that my colleague B was coming. Suddenly another colleague A, who was on his way to office, saw me, stopped and took over. This person still made sure that the bike started and A was going to drive it till the garage and then drove off after I thanked him profusely.


I am very grateful for his help. It reaffirmed my belief in the goodness of people. For him it may be something very insignificant, something that he does normally and doesn’t even give a thought to; but for me it was very reassuring to see a person helping another unknown person.


I am also a bit ashamed of myself since, when he first offered help, for a brief second I doubted his intention in helping me. How the times have conditioned us to doubt !


I also realized that I tend to feel very awkward accepting help…I am not used to it. I am accustomed to taking on other people’s troubles, not to putting mine on somebody’s shoulders.


As a thank you to this person who helped me, I am going to gratefully receive this good deed and pass it along to somebody who is in need of one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How NOT to compère a function

Recently I attended an awards ceremony. It was a grand function with a huge audience in attendance. Many awards were given and some speeches too. The compère was, unintentionally, terribly funny ! In this function, when the compère announced the first award winner, he announced, “Please welcome on stage Mr. X (pause) married to (pause) wife Mrs. X (pause) from 1977 and successfully (pause) completed 32 years of (pause) married life…” I had tears in my eyes from laughing too hard :D Later, the same compère, while telling the audiences about a certain award winner, said, “…he is married (pause) to wife Mrs. Z (pause) and enjoys playing with his (pause) children K and M. His favourite (pause) holiday destination is (pause) the beaches (pronounced as ‘bitches’) of (pause) Goa” I nearly died choking with laughter for this one ! In the 45 minutes that he was on stage he was responsible for much hilarity due to his totally inappropriate commentary. I, of course, laughed my guts out and what c

‘Geographically challenged’

I laughed my guts out while reading this . Then I had another bout of laughter thinking of all the incidents that happen with me. For a long time now I have known that I am, what I like to call, ‘geographically challenged’ :) Situation 1 - If I go inside a building (happens mostly with residential buildings), then after I exit the lift (elevator) or come down the stairs, I cannot quickly locate the gate ! Situation 2 - If I am inside a building, I will routinely point in wrong directions to indicate places outside the building. Situation 3 - I am presently at office. I have come here from home. Now I have to go to some place where I have always gone from home and never from office. What do I do ? I go home first and from there I go to that place. It doesn’t matter if it is a longer distance or takes more time. I have to do this, because simply have no mechanism to re-align my mental map to my present location ! Situation 4 - Another thing is that if I have come to your place in

Love in the rains :)

Heart shaped ditch on a construction site next to our office building ! Closer view of the 'heart' ! You can find love in the most unusual places ! :)